Friday, January 14, 2011

car



I recently purchased a new car, and by new I mean 14 years old.  As a cyclist I definitely have a love/hate relationship with cars; on a beautiful fall day it is unquestionably more fun to cruise around on the bike getting errands done while enjoying the fresh air and getting a little exercise. But this is Minnesota, it's fucking cold out right now and, well, I'm just not up to slogging around on my bike in six layers of clothes to get the mundane stuff in my life accomplished.  
The worst thing, for me, about owning a car is that I like German cars. Since I make no money, this means driving around in constant fear of the next $400 repair bill, but, fuck it.  Life is short and I've owned smart, practical cars a couple times and, although they don't break down and they get great gas mileage, I hated them, they just didn't make me happy. So now I own an Audi A6 wagon with 170,000 miles on it. It is comfortable, pleasing to sit in, drives like a car should and I like the way it looks. On top of that the all-wheel drive rocks the MN snow.  The only thing I don't like about it is the color.  It's red. But I have come to terms with that by deciding that a Richard Sachs "Cross Fucking Rules" sticker looks really good on a red car. Oh, one of the best things about owning an old car: Analog clock, ATMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment