Tuesday, May 31, 2011

abel reels

I have fished Abel fly reels for around 15 years and I have never had a problem with them. Until now. I ordered a new reel and was unhappy with the quality of the finish. Full disclosure: I got a REALLY good price on it. Nonetheless, I was not happy. For the first time ever I needed to talk to the folks at Abel and sort things out.
As a life-long retailer, I've dealt with way too many pushy douche bag customers that think the louder they scream the better the service they will receive (unfortunately, in today's corporate retail atmosphere that's often the way it works). So I take the approach that if a company cares about me as a customer, they will simply listen to my story and make things right. If they don't see it that way, they can burn in hell, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Needless to say, after a ten minute conversation with Don, I had a new reel being overnight shipped to me at their expense so that I'd have it in time to pull trout around in a Montana spring creek two days later. Not only that, but his generosity extended beyond words for, I fear, it will lead others to try to take advantage of such generosity if they know of it.
Sometimes even the best stuff isn't perfect, sometimes it's better than perfect in the end. If you need a fly reel, consider an Abel, they take their shit seriously.

2 comments:

  1. I just got my first TR2 in the mail and I can't wait to fish it!

    ReplyDelete