Thursday, September 15, 2011

cross clinchers/tubeless: the test



I just built a new set of cross wheels:
White Industries hubs
DT Swiss double butted spokes
Brass nipples (of course)
Hed Belgium rims
I'm gonna give 'em go as tubeless with a Stan's set up. I've installed the Stan's rim tape and standard rubber strip with valve. Now I'm off to the shop to fill them up with sealant and see how they roll down at the river bottom. If you have never used Stan's and are considering trying to set them up yourself, one thing to keep in mind is that you will need an air compressor. They won't get air fast enough to create a seal otherwise, so if, like me, you don't have your own compressor, this is the part you do at the bike shop.
It seems the group is about 50/50 on how they will work, but I'm going to take them out right after I get them set up today and I'll be sure to follow up with the results. Worst case scenario, I'll have a really nice new wheelset with tubes in it, seeing as how I'm out of shape and won't likely race them anyway, it doesn't much matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment