Thursday, March 15, 2012

it's spring on the rush river in wisconsin



Day off, time to hit my favorite spot on the river. I got settled in around 8:30 this morning. Got wet just downstream of the honey pot and not more than 20 minutes later two fuckers in baggies and clown hats hopped in right in front of me. Though it's possible they didn't see me, they definitely didn't care to have a look first.
Back into the car and off to find a nice lonely stretch to properly christen my new four weight rod. Bugs were lifting off nicely from the start, but with only the occasional rise in response, I decide to drag tiny beadheads through the run. Larger than average brookies were eager and after settling into contentment with my catch I opted for the dry fly box to see if I couldn't coerce a surface take or two. No dice.
Some very large (by midwestern standards) stone flies were fluttering about above the surface and it was time to change ammo. My choice of a hair wing peacock caddis with a small hare's ear dropper was immediately validated by a couple brookies looking for a hearty meal, but it was the 16 inch brown taking the dropper that really made the day.
After seven hours on the water the blurry eyed drive home almost killed me, but it was a great start to the spring Wisconsin trout season.

No comments:

Post a Comment