Monday, July 23, 2012

Sage Circa

It looks like Sage is going to start making fly rods that bend, and I can hardly fucking believe it.

Sage CIRCA - Fly Fishing with Advanced, Slow-Action Performance. from Sol Duc Buck on Vimeo.

My very first good fly rod was a Sage SP 480. I had been fishing for a year and decided I liked fly fishing enough to drop a pile of cash that I didn't have on the counter of the local fly shop and take that rod to the river. It was really light, it was pretty, and it cast like a dream. The next season I determined that I absolutely couldn't survive without a three weight rod, only this time the pile of cash was a bit taller and the hand penned script on the rod said Winston IM6. I never enjoyed fishing that SP rod again.
It turns out that when a fly rod actually bends a little bit you don't break your 7x tippet off on fish nearly as often, you don't pull flies out of a trout's mouth on those sneaky downstream casts as often either.
Years have gone by since then and Sage has done their best to make their rods even stiffer, sure, they cast a nice tight loop 80-120 feet just fine, and you can get them to bend if you line them up with one line heavier than they're rated for.
Now Sage has released the "Circa" line of rods. I'm actually curious to fish one, however, the whole thing reeks a little of the "New Coke" marketing scheme, I mean, how long has it been since Sage gave a shit about soft fly rods? Maybe a few Winston customers will buy them instead of Biiix rods next season, who knows, but when the dust settles I have a feeling people will be saying "remember the Circa, whatever happened to that rod?" And Sage will have returned to rolling blanks that let you cast over the next horizon.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting take on the new offering. I think it all comes down to you that when you can't make a fly rod any stiffer/faster that you dial it back and start marketing something totally different that everyone's just got to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, I guess at some point you just have to stop and take a step back. I actually REALLY hope it does well for them and they continue to look at rods differently. No one can deny the finish quality and craftsmanship that goes into their stuff. I just haven't cared for the way their rods fish at all, maybe that will change.

    ReplyDelete